Essay and assignment writing tips
Quality essays cannot be produced within one night. It requires a thorough research and collection of ideas. Like other writing term papers, essay also requires a comprehensive plan to be written.Essay writing involves following guidelines in order to create a distinctive paper:
- Essay writing requires comprehensive research work.
- It should be developed with the arguments, reasoning and certain examples of the real-time.
- It requires to be built upon the in-depth evidences from the research.
- It explains appropriate understanding from the topic and essential principles relevant to it. It develops theories and real-time concepts into the form of discussions.
- It needs to focus on the balance of the topic. For this students need to prepare plan before starting essay. For example a plan may include following weightage:
|Word count division||Essay of 1500 words||Essay of 2500 words|
|Introduction should be 5-8 percent in number of words||120||2000|
|Body of essay should be remaining number of words left from introduction and conclusion of essay||1160||1950|
|Conclusion should 12-15 percent of the total word count||220||350|
- In order to write an essay a thesis statement should be developed on which the essay is usually based.
- An essay should involve clear sentences and does not include awkward phrases in it.
- It should contain grammatical errors, spelling and punctuation mistakes.
- The essay should meet all instructions that your instructor has provided.
- Essay should be developing interest of the reader to read more about the topic.
- The references should be provided in the required style. All references should be relevant to the essay.
The usual form of essay includes:
- Planning for writing the essay
- Searching for information
- Preparation of notes
- An introduction
- Development of thesis statement
- Argumentative discussion
- Conclusion of the essay
Planning for writing the essay
First step of writing an essay is to critically think about the instructions that have provided. Then student need to draw a timeline within which he can complete the essay. Prepare yourself for the hurdles that come to your ways for completing the essay on time. Hence, save the time by start thinking about topic when instructor provides instructions. Furthermore, search for the topic and take out contradictory theories available in books and journal articles. It will attract the reader if you search for some accurate figures about the topic as well. The planning for the essay writing includes deciding about the topic or thinking critically about it as you receive instructions about it. Then brainstorm the work with evidence research. Think about the topic while relating it to the class lectures.
Searching for information
Making research work for writing an assignment mainly includes lecture materials, notes of the instructor and books. From these materials you can find all the materials you are required to write the essay. If essay has to be written out of the lectures delivered then you have to go use your library resources. Your university library is the greatest source of information hence; you should make most of it.
- There should be comprehensive notes you prepare in order to start your essay.
- You should take some published articles that are relevant to the topic for focusing the real-time examples.
- Try to take some referencing out of one article that will save your time.
- You should include most appropriate and authentic resources for your assignment.
Preparation of notes
Development of notes is the important element of writing the essay. Students have to careful while developing the notes because entire thesis is dependent upon on the notes. There are few guidelines for developing the notes.
- Select the appropriate boos that will give you appropriate and relevant information about your essay topic.
- Before starting to read the book comprehensively understand different topics indexed at start.
- Understand the overview of the topic and understand what writer wants to state in the initial lines.
- Marking text is not useful tip. Despite summarize the context with your own understanding of the passage.
- Necessarily, keep the records of the book using reference of it. For instance note down publisher name, authors name and title of the book so that you can easily get it again when you need it.
An introduction of the topic should be powerful so that it can grab attention of the reader immediately. This is why introduction is the key point of any essay.The firsts sentence of the essay thus, should be developed with utmost care.The introduction of essay will set the harmony of the entire essay. As well as, it provide guideline for writing the essay ahead if proper time is allocated to the introduction of the essay.
Development of Thesis statement
Thesis statement is part of the introduction of the essay. It demonstrates that what the writer is going to write throughout this essay. Writing a thesis statement includes one or two important sentences about the topic that is going to be discussed in the essay. Along with thesis statement scope of the topic will be significant for readers to take interest in the essay. When you have to develop argument ahead in the essay then you will have to check that is it correspondent with that of your thesis statement or not.
It is useful for the student to develop the notes before start writing the essay. These notes will be guiding him throughout the essay. In discussion these notes will also be useful s student haspriority written up small points to prepare the comprehensive discussions from them. In the discussion:
- Content should support the central thesis statement by interrelating points with each other.
- Points are manipulated to organize the key points for the readers.
- Logical order according to the nature of the topic should be developed.
Conclusion of the essay
Conclusion in an assignment should summarize al the details of the essay. It should not involve any new information in it. In conclusion writer has to give details of all of the arguments briefly and draw some key points from these of the arguments to make essay attractive.The conclusion should be one tenth of overall assignment. It has to summarize the major discussions on the key points.
Including references and citation make the arguments and sources authentic for the reader. You should thus, include proper citation from where you have taken your ideas and give their references at the end of the essay. There some popular referencing styles such as APA, Harvard, MLA and Chicago. You should include one of the reference styles. Keep in mind that you should include the same style of referencing and citation throughout your paper.
Dos and Do not’s of writing an essay
There are no particular rules and regulations to show your creativity in writing an essay. However, you should keep some points into the mind. There are some dos and do not’s for writing the effective essay.
DO mention a thesis statement into your introduction
If there is no thesis statement in the introductory paragraph then reader won't be able to understand the topic and there will an ambiguity persist throughout his reading.
Do provide ease of reading to your reader
As the essay has to be submitted to your teacher, you should make easy sentences at the start of your essay. Instructors have to check your essay at a glance. If they find it interesting then they will read it out with entire concentration.
Do cite examples
Examples provided to the essay attract the reader and reader find seeks interest to read the informative paper.
Do select right language
With your writing paper you explainthe ability of writing a well-constructed paper. This hence, demonstrates your ability and command on the selected language as well.
Do proofread your work
After writing the essay completely do not forget to check its spelling and punctuation mistakes yourself. Leave some time to thoroughly read it before its submission. This will necessarily give you chances for correction.
Do not plagiarize your work
Plagiarism is punishable in the institutions. Make assignments in your own words because there are software in the university that can detect copy and pasting of your essay.
Do avoid details for formatting
Instructors provide proper details for formatting the essay. You should not avoid those of the details.
Do not forget to reference from the authentic sites
Instructors want to see your originality of the work that is why they want all the details of your research work through references. Do not forget to include authentic references into your reference.
Do not use excessive information
For making the essay comprehensive, use relevant and particular details about your topic. The excessive information towards reader about general topic may lead him towards boredom.
Do not include the reader's name in essay
Whatever the kind of essay you are writing, never mention the name of any author or reader. Academic writing prohibits revealing the name of authors and it also avoids addressing the reader’s name in an essay.
- Suzy, S. (June 6, 2014).Essay Writing Tips for Less Stress and More Success.Takelessons.Retrieved from https://takelessons.com/blog/essay-writing-tips
- Skillsyouneed, (2017)..Do's and Don'ts of Essay Writing.Skillsyouneed.Retrieved from: https://www.skillsyouneed.com/rhubarb/essay-writing-tips.html
- Niemtus, Z., (7 March, 2017). How to write better essays: 'nobody does introductions properly'. The guardian.https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/mar/07/how-to-write-an-essay
- Witte, B. & Tutors, V.,(November 20, 2015). How to Write an Essay in 1 Day.Time.http://time.com/4122943/essay-writing-tips/